I set my alarm for 4:30 Friday morning, *hoping* that I'd have it in me to rise before the sun to watch William and Kate tie the knot.
It didn't happen. In fact, I slept through my alarm. :-( Thank goodness for DVR! (Side note: I'd love to hear your thoughts about the fashion, especially Kate's dress , Beatrice's hat and Victoria's Louboutin pumps (while pregnant)!)
Last night I forgot to reset my alarm and nearly jumped out of bed when it began blaring at 4:30 this morning. Of course I wake up early on a day created for sleeping in! :-p
I tossed and turned for a few hours, but couldn't seem to get breakfast off my mind.
Two nights ago, I whipped up a batch of blueberry scones (vegan and gluten free) using this recipe from a bakery in New York City. I made a few changes, substituting almond milk for the soy milk, and adding an extra 1/2 cup of blueberries.
Consider these scones my tribute to British royalty. Nothing screams "English" more than scones and clotted cream, right?! Even though I ate mine sans cream, they were still quite a treat!
3 cups gluten free flour mix or oat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
11 tablespoons Earth Balance cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 3/4 cups chilled almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 teaspoons raw sugar
I enjoyed a scone around 6:00am, and then climbed back in bed, only to sleep through a running date with a friend. Sorry, Ash! I definitely owe you a scone!
*50 Most Beautiful People in Food*
If you've been in a grocery store this week, you know that Jennifer Lopez was crowned one of People Magazine's Most Beautiful People of the year.
What would you think if you found out that this chick was in the running for the title?
Or how about this brawny boy?
The San Francisco Chronicle wants to know who YOU think is the most beautiful "person" in FOOD! There are 50 contestants pining for the crown. Click here to cast your vote!
- Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth could really use some lovin'. Or maybe the gruff Gorton fisherman is more your style. And who doesn't love Mr. Quaker Oats?
- I just cast my vote for this hunk:
- Yes, that's the Senor Paul Newman. I'm not sure I'm digging the mustache, but his salsa sure does taste good!
- St. Pauli girl (whose picture I'm not going to show here, for obvious reasons) is currently in first place, followed by Santitas Chip Girl.
- We all know that food is pretty, but the people that "make" it aren't typically recognized for their beauty. Go show them your support! Voting closes May 5, so hurry up! :-)
- This post has to be cut short because my guilty conscience is getting to me, and I need to start cracking on paper-writing and studying. In just one week I'll be done with my first semester of grad school! I'm very much looking forward to an entire week off before summer session starts. And guess who's coming to help me celebrate?
- She's famous for her oat smashes and love of Hello Kitty. Can't wait!!
- Hope you're all enjoying your weekend!
- "Taking joy in LIFE is a woman's best cosmetic."
- -Rosalind Russel
- Question of the day:
- Most attractive GUY in food? Green Giant, Gorton, Orville Redenbacher, Mr. Quaker Oats or other?